Since the first caveman scratched “Og luffs Ogette” on a dusty cave wall, people have been bumfuzzled by that crazy little thing called LOVE. Those of us who write romance novels aren’t any better off than the rest of you. We spend our days and nights in agonizing indecision about how to knit the essence of love into our characters.
Last night, I took the modern recourse for a tortured soul looking for love—I searched the Intrawebs for enlightenment. I found plenty of words of wisdom on the subject.
Some people seem to have a dim view of love:
- We don’t believe in rheumatism and true love until after the first attack. ~Marie Ebner Von Eschenbach, Aphorism
- My opinion of love is, that it acts upon the human heart precisely as a nutmeg-grater acts upon a nutmeg. ~Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species. ~ Somerset Maugham
- If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people. ~Jarod Kintz
- Love; A temporary insanity curable by marriage. ~Ambrose Bierce
Others are, at best, ambivalent:
- Love is much nicer to be in than an automobile accident, a tight girdle, a higher tax bracket or a holding pattern over Philadelphia. ~Judith Viorst, Redbook, 1975
- A lover is a man who tries to be more amiable than it is possible for him to be. ~Nicholas de Chamfort
- Love is a lot like a backache, it doesn’t show up on X-rays, but you know it’s there. ~George Burns
- Love is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty interesting questions. ~Woody Allen
- Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it. ~George Carlin
- Love thy neighbor — and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier. ~Mae West
- Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow Internet service to see who they really are. ~Will Ferrell
- Honesty is the key to a relationship. If you can fake that, you’re in. ~Richard Jeni
- I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. ~Groucho Marx
- We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine. ~Eduardo Galeano
- Forget love — I’d rather fall in chocolate! ~Sandra J. Dykes
And then there are the dreamers and the believers
- You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~Seuss
- Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place. ~Zora Neale Hurston
- True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked. ~Erich Segal
- Love is being stupid together. ~Paul Valery
- People who throw kisses are hopelessly lazy. ~Bob Hope
- I love you like a fat kid loves cake. ~Scott Adams
- Breathes there a man with soul so dead, who never to his wife hath said, “Breakfast be damned, come back to bed.”~ Anonymous
- A kiss without a mustache is like an egg without salt. ~ Spanish Proverb
- I wasn’t kissing her, I was whispering in her mouth! ~Chico Marx
- If only one could tell true love from false love as one can tell mushrooms from toadstools.~ Katherine Mansfield
So where do you fall in the love debate? Do you believe in true love? Is love just a product of hormones and evolution? What’s your favorite quote about love–or the lack thereof?
If you’re looking for that special, particular person, take our quiz to find out where he/she might be hiding.
[qzzr quiz=”326695″ width=”100%” height=”auto” redirect=”true” offset=”0″]
To be the first to know stuff, sign up for the Wild Roses and Romance Author’s Newsletter below and . While you are signing up, go to the top right column of this page and join Sorchia’s Universe. I’ll be giving away a free e-book at the end of February to someone on my email list.